Wednesday, June 24, 2009

a journey with a happy ending...

Well, my friends would know that I'm not exactly a super straight As student, above average maybe. I was a good student, active in co-curricular activities, had a post in top clubs & a post in the prefect board. Never skipped school & had teachers who liked me (thanks Pn Tan :-0) I was full of school spirit! just hated the principal who is an ass who acts like a know it all.

Until i went for NS which totally ruined my life. Then i had to go to form 6 & transfer to a stupid shit school which was heavily funded but lacked teachers who had brains. it was a fully govt school, unlike my primary school which was chinese & my secondary school was missionary. imagine my chem & bio teacher were only qualified to teach up to SPM level! wat the heck?!?!? My Pengajian Am teacher doesn't even know what's a chiropractor!!! So i started not going to school. to my surprise, it wasn't hard to convince mummy to allow me to skip school :-) hehehehe, Big D even signed all my skip school letters for me ^_^ hehehe...

Skip school & do what, some may ask... Go shopping with Yong Hwee, mamak with Pravin & sleep sleep sleep :-) hahahahah!!! homework??? the stupid school had never even given me a report card!

then the idiots at the shit school had the nerve to send me a warning letter for skipping school... they didn't know that mummy was prepared to give them a piece of her mind ^_^ hehehe, but we decided to save her breathe, cos the dummies there don't understand English & it is not customary for royalty to speak like the peasants...

In the end of my 1.5 years in that stinky place (i would not even acknowledge it as my alma mater) i sat for my STPM, cos i had already paid for it!!! why waste right... without studying, i managed to surprise myself :-0 hehehe... i managed to pass 3 out of 4 subjects, maths was never my strong subject & i never got the hang of it...


hey, for someone who did not attend class nor study, it's ok!

then the future seemed blank as I couldn't get into any local U, not that i wanted to but mummy was so for it cos she's a local u product. hence, not knowing that UTAR wasn't unitar I did not apply elsewhere except IACT for advertising. surprisingly, i was offered a partial scholarship to do a diploma, then advance & degree, which would take up 5 years of my life...

UTAR was a baby then & there was much talk about it so mummy told me it's MCA & not unitar. what the heck, apply lo, minimum 2 credits what :-) last minute apply so i think they balas dendam & last minute call me for orientation. being clueless, i gave my boss 24 hours notice & headed for utar.

that was when my life got back on track. I had perfect attendance, had qualified lecturers & was enjoying the classes. I remember during orientation, Mr G.V. Nair had told us frankly that "only those crazy ppl who have spend they're life devoted to studying would achieve 1st class honours, most would be in 2nd class, hopefullly upper..." so starting out this new uni life, i planed to just pass everypaper, not sit for suplementary papers cos it'll cost an extra RM100. then i found out about this thing called the President's List for students who got a GPA of 3.85 & above. like getting a hollywood star, i aimed for it, but did not expect to get it.

GPA 4.0



I made it!!!



having a great start, next logical thing to aim for was 1st class honours & to be valedictorian. Mana tau got no such thing as valedictorian there... but it's called Book Prize instead :-) & i got that too. living in a terrible room in PJ with no facilities or entertainment helped cos there wasn't anything else to do than study.


I hated PJ cos i didn't have a car there, had to take public transport which i never did in melaka. got sick & had no one to look after me. hated puduraya for what it is. hence, i came home everyweek or whenever i did not have class. i maintained my part time job in long feng which financed my bus fare & living expenses. in PJ, going for class was the highlight of the day. I made sure all assignments were completed in PJ & seldom brought home my assignments to Malacca. Cos malacca time was holiday time ;-0


the plan seemed to work & i'd continue this pattern every semester.


conferment of 1st class honours ;-)



my book prize :-)



Hence, dear readers, i learned a lesson here, which i'm not allowed to post cos of certian acts. hint hint, i enjoyed most of my education except the part of going to a lousy horrible "sekolah dalam taman". It's in the process of being deleted from my memory. some might think this is me bragging but i'm entitled to do so since i earned it. actually this is encouragement to some, when we fall down, get up & jump! that's what I did & i was able to reach the top shelf where they hide the cookie jar... now i can savour my cookies :-)

2 comments:

jo-N said...

you knw what, reading your post kinda reminded me of my own life. Stupid NS forced me to do form 6 and when i was in form6 i actually have teachers mocking me and calling me stupid because i could not do as well as the rest in the class. And then UM was crap, my lecturer made me believe that all girls arent meant to do well in that field. So im really glad i quit and studied law instead. When i first entered mmu i thought i would just aim for a pass each sem. However unexpectedly im in dean list every sem and hoping to graduate with first class honours like you!.. congrats shen-ynn! you really inspire me...

Shynn said...

wow, i din know i could inspire ppl :-) thanks Joanne & all the best to you too!!! deans list every sem??? OMG! now i can break the law knowing i hav a great lawyer fren ^_^ hehehe...